Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Leasehold enfranchisement


* * * * *

I have an appointment with Carl at the Wandsworth Home Ownership Unit on Friday, to discuss buying the freehold. This came about as a result of a mailout they did inviting leaseholders to a 'Buy Your Freehold' open evening. I rang immediately to book a place, literally two minutes after opening the letter.

My flat is part of three houses merged to form a single freehold with eight or nine flats (at least one is a lateral conversion), so apparently it's more complicated, and the upshot was that I was told there was no point coming to the open evening. They needed to get the files for the property first, etc. before it could be discussed.

I'm not optimistic. I know I'd need to get at least three or four other leaseholders on board, which I think is unlikely as people won't want to fork out money if they don't have to. Still, it's worth a shot. I've already asked if I could buy the freehold if I couldn't get enough of the others to cooperate, and Carl said no. I don't know why, as if they want to sell freeholds (presumably a money-making exercise, perhaps disguised as citizen empowerment) then why do they care who buys it?


3 comments:

  1. Actually there are people who can help so I can be constructive rather than rude and sarcastic :-) Try the government-funded Leasehold Advisory Service for free legal advice. www.lease-advice.org or tel 020 7374 5380 . They will explain how you qualify to buy etc.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Lynne. I'll update with what I find out. But I'm not sure one can get around it if my neighbouring leaseholders aren't up for buying the freehold?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a lot you could do in that case, it would need at least 50% of the leaseholders to seek enfranchisement in the usual run of things and with the way you describe your block, definitely.

    ReplyDelete

Be as rude and sarcastic as you like