Thursday, 1 May 2014

Review: EDF Energy Customer Services

 EDF Energy Customer Services HQ


Last December, I took over the electricity account for my rental property. The last tenants moved out on 30th November 2013.

I contacted EDF with the end of tenancy meter reading, and informed them I'd be taking over as of 1st December.

First off, they sent me a bill for £0.17 for one day, 1st - 1st December, for my 'estimated final electricity bill' (huh?) Then for some reason they decided to come and read the meter on 12th December, so I got another bill for 2nd-12th December, for about £5. I ignored both, and waited for a proper bill, like for a few months, not a few days.

In March, they sent me a bill saying I should pay my 'regular [quarterly] payment amount', £90. The bill informed me that they'd discussed this with me and we'd apparently agreed that £360 was a reasonable estimate of the yearly amount (which was news to me). I ignored this one, too, as I open boring post once every few weeks, in batches of misery, and by the time I'd opened it they'd sent another bill, in April.

This one was for £296, based on estimated readings for the period 13th December - 7th April.

So I called EDF on 15th April to find out what was going on, and why the latest estimate was a lot more than the 'regular payment amount'.

I spoke to Jessica. I suggested that she look up the previous usage at the property in order to come up with an accurate estimate, not just wild guesses. I told her it was difficult for me to access the meter cupboard as I don't have a key, only the caretaker does, and he's not often around. In any case, I said, surely EDF must come regularly to read the meters? No, she said, adding that they were only obliged by law to do it once every two years. She couldn't explain why, then, they'd come to read the meter on the 12th December, when they'd been given a reading for 1st December.

Also, worryingly, there didn't seem to be any record of the tenants who'd left on 30th November. 

Anyway, Jessica said she'd have to do some research, and promised to call me back at 4.30pm on 17th April. She didn't. 

I've tried calling EDF twice in the last week, but the automated system told me I'd have to wait at least 10 minutes; I tried again today, and this time decided to wait. I was on hold for 20 minutes before I gave up. Over twenty minutes is a ludicrous and totally unacceptable length of time to expect customers to wait to speak to an advisor.

Why does stuff like this always, always have to turn into a saga?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be as rude and sarcastic as you like